The Dutch Radio Concertzender broadcasts Frank Corcoran’s new CELLO
CONCERTO ( RTE Lyric recording of March 13 Dublin National Symphony
Orchestra / Kenneth Montgomery / Martin Johnston , Soloist ) on:
Sunday April 19 2015 between 17.00 and 18.00 .
So what will it bring , this new Pratoleva year ?
Schott will publish my choral EIGHT HAIKUS which won the 2013 International Forum For Choral Music Premier Prix.
Other choral works will sound, the human breath.
( But of course the human body and breath is also fully there in a Corcoran orchestral or chamber work, strain , aim, polish, energy, shaped musical strength aching to be born, sound as thought and conceived and incarnate. )
Festschrift Frank Corcoran will appear.
Another year near hill-top Celleno and clear April sunny skies. The nights are cold still. New energy stirring.
I finished the six Irish Duets for Cello and Piano, short settings of some of the loveliest Irish Slow Airs “ar an sean n’os ” known to me : Im Aonar Seal, Na Conneries, Sean O Duibhir An Ghleanna, A Mhairin De Barra, A Una Bhain 1. and 2. These six are among the finest we have; in each great expressive power is unleashed in fine architectural trellis-work. Four lines in each , A B B A , beautifully balanced. The perfection of a Schubert Lied. Voila !
These settings are neither neo-romantic nor kitsch nor minimalistic nor neo-Bart’ok but rather vintage Corcoran. Each captures the significant motif of the “amhran” in question . The piano is a wash of orchestral colour, of course . The cello surges. I keep the wildness, ornamentation; melodic ” multa in parvis”. Not a note too much. Not a sigh, an ascent – descent, an apoggiatura without high voltage.
April 4 2015. NDR KULTUR “Prisma Musik” 20.05 – 22.00
Frank Corcoran’s radio analysis of two focal Mozart symphonies , Nr. 29
in A Major and the “Jupiter”.
22.05 Frank Corcoran’s 4. Symphony ( 1997 Irish N.S.O., Conducted by Colman Pearce )
Cur Deus homo ? Cur homo soffert ? Cur creator egoismus ? Cur Deus Sadista ? Cur lacrimae German Wings ? Cur vetus carmen ? Cur ?
Nearly five months up here. Now I fly . South. Kindly German Wings. Over those waiting Alps. ( – kindly ? )
Good CELLO CONCERTO Premiere with the Irish N S O / Kenneth Macmillan, and my giant soloist , Martin Johnston. Mighty. 13.3.2015.
Good QUASI UNA STORIA Premiere in NYC with the North South Consonance String Orchestra , great Max Lifchitz. He also mighty. 15.2.2015.
Unleashed then rightly , my new six Cello – Piano Duets . – Short miracles. Refined miniature Irish Slow Airs – ” ar an sean-nos ” – each an explosive miracle. Never Kitsch, never neo- Romantic, never-never minimal or – istic, never neo- Bartok. Yes, beautiful Corcoran
March 13 2015
Premiered in Dublin . National Symphony Orchestra / Kenneth Macmillan . Soloist : Martin Johnson.
See on www.cmc.ie :
Martin Johnson , Fergal Caulfield on Frank Corcoran’s new CELLO CONCERTO.
Frank Corcoran on his new CELLO CONCERTO.
Hear More On ” Sound Cloud ” .
1. West Berlin 1981.
After my Berliner Kuenstler Programm 1980 ( “Symphonies Of Symphonies Of Wind ” = my first symphony ) ; the Symphony Nr. 2 , ( I counterpoint : ” SOLI ” and ” TUTTI ” ) , I became a guest professor at the Hochschule der Musik where , a few very short years earlier Boris Blacher had taught me : a sense of musical responsibility ; beware all new-born music Fascists; for Gawd’s sake keep a door open for:
form in music , hearable shape .
2. Stuttgart 1982 : Oh Hoelderlin ! Sweet airs and wines above that boiling Kesseltal ” ! Beware the post-war terror and infallible ” we only, ahem, know – contemporary composition, choirs and tin.-whistles and quintets and bagpipes, it all !”
3. Hamburg 1983 till quasi yesterday. Coming from the South, I had just tripped across the Hamburg Musikhochschule’s main portal ( No. There was no one to greet me , to welcome me, I felt instantly a local-Hamburg tollabawns’ ignorance of any saving grace known to Western man . They had justly perfected what ? The snarl. The rictus. Clear your Hanseatic Liberal Throat indeed …. ) . Here was musicality , creativity, plasticity, humanity, normality…. not understood. I gasped. I reeled. I screeched : ” This can not be true ! ”
TO BE CONTINUED
I quote some horrors and some beauts.
1. “What you see is what you hear ” ( HEAR HEAR HOYKES ! )
2. ” A way of spoken ( ! ) Language and music which is not oppressing ( ! ) Others ( ? ! ) ”
3. “So that the music and the words can be equivalently ( ! ) incorporated …. to include ( ? ) the perspective ( ! ) of the audience in a creative way ( OUCH ! ! ! ) ”
4.Heiner Goebbels ( ! ) : “I was never interested in the music only ; I was Always interested in the musical PROCESS. ” ( … ? )