Cur Deus homo ? Cur homo soffert ? Cur creator egoismus ? Cur Deus Sadista ? Cur lacrimae German Wings ? Cur vetus carmen ? Cur ?
Nearly five months up here. Now I fly . South. Kindly German Wings. Over those waiting Alps. ( – kindly ? )
Good CELLO CONCERTO Premiere with the Irish N S O / Kenneth Macmillan, and my giant soloist , Martin Johnston. Mighty. 13.3.2015.
Good QUASI UNA STORIA Premiere in NYC with the North South Consonance String Orchestra , great Max Lifchitz. He also mighty. 15.2.2015.
Unleashed then rightly , my new six Cello – Piano Duets . – Short miracles. Refined miniature Irish Slow Airs – ” ar an sean-nos ” – each an explosive miracle. Never Kitsch, never neo- Romantic, never-never minimal or – istic, never neo- Bartok. Yes, beautiful Corcoran
March 13 2015
Premiered in Dublin . National Symphony Orchestra / Kenneth Macmillan . Soloist : Martin Johnson.
See on www.cmc.ie :
Martin Johnson , Fergal Caulfield on Frank Corcoran’s new CELLO CONCERTO.
Frank Corcoran on his new CELLO CONCERTO.
Hear More On ” Sound Cloud ” .
1. West Berlin 1981.
After my Berliner Kuenstler Programm 1980 ( “Symphonies Of Symphonies Of Wind ” = my first symphony ) ; the Symphony Nr. 2 , ( I counterpoint : ” SOLI ” and ” TUTTI ” ) , I became a guest professor at the Hochschule der Musik where , a few very short years earlier Boris Blacher had taught me : a sense of musical responsibility ; beware all new-born music Fascists; for Gawd’s sake keep a door open for:
form in music , hearable shape .
2. Stuttgart 1982 : Oh Hoelderlin ! Sweet airs and wines above that boiling Kesseltal ” ! Beware the post-war terror and infallible ” we only, ahem, know – contemporary composition, choirs and tin.-whistles and quintets and bagpipes, it all !”
3. Hamburg 1983 till quasi yesterday. Coming from the South, I had just tripped across the Hamburg Musikhochschule’s main portal ( No. There was no one to greet me , to welcome me, I felt instantly a local-Hamburg tollabawns’ ignorance of any saving grace known to Western man . They had justly perfected what ? The snarl. The rictus. Clear your Hanseatic Liberal Throat indeed …. ) . Here was musicality , creativity, plasticity, humanity, normality…. not understood. I gasped. I reeled. I screeched : ” This can not be true ! ”
TO BE CONTINUED
I quote some horrors and some beauts.
1. “What you see is what you hear ” ( HEAR HEAR HOYKES ! )
2. ” A way of spoken ( ! ) Language and music which is not oppressing ( ! ) Others ( ? ! ) ”
3. “So that the music and the words can be equivalently ( ! ) incorporated …. to include ( ? ) the perspective ( ! ) of the audience in a creative way ( OUCH ! ! ! ) ”
4.Heiner Goebbels ( ! ) : “I was never interested in the music only ; I was Always interested in the musical PROCESS. ” ( … ? )
I am sitting between two flying stools, kindly and awe-filled North Atlantic storms a mere 11.500 metres under my aeroplane seat and a night sleep back from New York to all too airy Hamburg -but soon will be my March flight to Dublin, the Cello Concerto’s premiere.
( Corcoran’s newly premiered NYC work for 13 Strings , ” QUASI UNA STORIA” , was quite different only one movement, fifty shades of burnished brown and Guarnieri polish, this lone composer’s colour nuances all bowed and plucked . )
The Dublin ( Yes, March 13 2015 ) concerto pits violent sound- masses ( Certainly I remember Dvorak and Lutoslawsky ) , our cello’s High Line against ( too ? ) vast orchestral forces. In the violent Scherzo timpani ( – all five ) try to overcome the soloist’s High Song.
So how shall solo cello sing and shout or scream or whisper, woo me positively, hymn me, its creator ?
I built four dolmens in sound. Four orchestral movements. Then the orchestra ; well, how screech / sing / sigh / sob / proclaim ,dreaman incantation ? The High Romantic Concerto since Paganin is a muster, well-thrashed. Very well. Struggle on, agon, sacred syllable, motif, phrase, quasi quotations, all the building stones of my Corcoran Scale Seven.
Edition Ferrimontana ( EF 3885 ) :
Frank Corcoran’s new S A T B publication:
FOUR LAST WORDS FROM THE CROSS” ( 2015. ca. 4′ . )
1. Eli,Eli, Lama Shabachthani ? 2. Sitio . 3. Tetelestai. 4. Father, into Thy hands….
Frankfurt Radio Frank Corcoran Composer Portrait :
Hr2 – Kultur March 5 2015. 21.30 – 22.30
” Aus dem Tintenfass des Himmels / Trinken Baeume / Sich satt “.
( today whacked; after my NDR – Kultur ” Prisma ” radio recording for that focal, stunning April 4 2015 programme. Hear who can. Hear or listen who must )
Take the sheer erotic power of his ( highly ” economic” ) oboes ‘ entry in Symphony Nr. 29 ( A Major ) – opening Allegro, bar 13. Bitter. Tonic. His two horns in A in bars 22 to 23. Certainly. Magna in parvis.
No, I mean more – yearning in erotic brass , wood.